Commercial Center Las Arenas

Architect: Alonso, Balaguer Arquitectos Asociados and Rogers, Stirk Harbour and Partners

Contractor: Adiform Preformados/Opersis 1999

Project: Las Arenas

 
The former site of the famous Arenas bull ring in the centre of Barcelona, was inaugurated in 1900. After the last bullfight was held there in 1977, the ring fell into disuse for a long period.

During its restoration, the façade was preserved to build a shopping centre inside, covered with a lowered plasterboard ceiling in the shape of an inverted dome.

The main structure is made of steel with radial and concentric beams creating spans of up to 3 m.